Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Sunday Funday. Saturday... Austin Day?

Hello lovelies! 

I would like to start this off by noting how wonderful it is to come home after a long day spent in high heels and to be able to take off your shoes and simply relax with some vegan pudding, animal crackers, sunshine, and Lana Del Ray. It is marvelous.


Now then... This past Saturday was a lovely day for Jessica and I. It was full of surprises, adventures, friends, and good laughs. In short, all things that Saturdays in college should consist of. Seeing as how we had a break from marching band and football this week Jessica and I had made plans to spend the day with our good friends DJ and Mitchell. The original plan was to go to the Waco Farmers Market with each of them that morning and then head back too good ole apartment 422 to cook Italian food and have a Doctor Who marathon. However this is not exactly what happened.

We started the day out at the farmers market as planned, which was a fantastic experience. Mitchell and I climbed the old look out tower located next to the market, and the view actually wasn't too shabby.
The view of downtown from up top. Not bad Waco, not bad.
Mitchell, Jessica, and DJ as ants.
We then... explored the rest of the market and quite possibly the best thing ever happened. I FOUND VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES! This might not seem like a big deal, but to me it was huge because it was the first time I found cookies I didn't have to make myself. And holy nonsense they were to die for. If any of you Waco dwellers are looking for some good gluten- free or vegan treats check out Vanilla Bean Bake Shoppe. They are at the farmers market every Saturday and Monday- Friday they are located in a parking lot on the corner of 5th and Franklin. It might be 6th and Franklin... I'm not sure. I have not yet made the trek to locate their food truck, but when I do, I will be sure to let you know.

From there... Mitchell, Jessica, and I all loaded up in Mitch's tank (DJ had to go do homework... priorities) and just spontaneously drove to Austin. With good jams we made it to Austin and got our grub on at Mellow Mushroom Pizza. My personal favourite pizza place.
We got a spinach pizza with vegan cheese (daiya). I would recommend this pie any day.
Mitchell got an entire pepperoni pizza to himself. *slow clap*
Next Stop... was La Tazza Fresca where we met up with Jessica's best friend Hannah and her man friend Jimmy. Most opted for the Turkish coffee, which was interesting, but delicious nevertheless, while Hannah and I went for classic chai tea lattes. Probably my favourite aspect about this place was that they offered almond milk as well as soy, which was refreshing for an almond milk lover like myself.
I also liked the fact that the drinks were served in actual mugs.
After some... wonderfully stimulating conversation on the Lord of the Rings, we parted ways with Jimmy and Hannah and found our way to REI and Whole Foods. The fact that Waco lacks a Whole Foods (or just vegan friendly stores in general) is one of its biggest downfalls in my book. However it helps my wallet out a bit, which as a college student is always a good thing. Regardless, we got to do a little shopping in Whole Foods which was an absolute delight. My favourite acquisition was this scrumptious organic coconut chocolate bar. I finished it off faster than I would like to admit... but hey, it was worth every bite.

The ride home... was a little bit quieter because we were pooped and it consisted of a little bit of car sickness on my part. OH! But we did decide to try our best to make it to Boston for Spring Break this year. I'm keeping high hopes for this goal. I'm in need of a change of scenery like never before, and it would be lovely to cross Boston off of my list of places to visit. So next spring keep your eye out for a post on our Boston adventures. ;) Even though we didn't get to marathon Doctor Who, I still found it to be a fantastically productive day, and I could not be more happy with how it turned out.

I hope you are having a wonderful Wednesday! Until next time!

xxCaitlin.



No comments:

Post a Comment